1.21.2009
So Inauguration Day has now come and gone. Even though my guy didn't win (course I don't think I can honestly say that I had a guy in this election) I was proud to be an American yesterday. There's something about seeing a new President sworn in that makes pride swell in the heart. Then a few fist pumps in the air and a run around the office high-fiving everyone is necessary. Seriously, how could you not be taken in by all the pomp and ceremony?!? And, while I'm on Inauguration Day, I think it should be a national holiday so everyone can watch in person or on tv and celebrate a new beginning - whether you're happy with the results of the election or not.
I had heard about these people, and, honestly, believed that they didn't exist. But I came across one yesterday. I came across this Christian man that firmly believed that, now that President Obama has been sworn in, it is his God-given duty to pray that the new Presidential administration fall completely on its behind in failure. He even quoted Scripture at me to try and show me that he was right. I was speechless. I had to get into his head.
Come to find out this guy had the right idea, but his approach and attitude about the whole thing was so far out in left field that I can't help but disagree with him. I had to say he was right. Yes, I want all the liberal ideas to fall flat. I want any grand ideas of making government bigger to die a miserable death. However, a new guy is at the helm, and, although I disagree with his ideologies I can in no way pray that he is anything but successful.
Parts of President Obama's speech yesterday sounded so Presidential. Here were my 3 fave lines from the speech - dare I say that all 3 lines I could envision my Presidential hero, Ronald Reagan, saying:
"Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake."
"We will not apologize for our way of life, nor will we waver in its defense, and for those who seek to advance their aims by inducing terror and slaughtering innocents, we say to you now that our spirit is stronger and cannot be broken; you cannot outlast us, and we will defeat you. "
"What is required of us now is a new era of responsibility — a recognition, on the part of every American, that we have duties to ourselves, our nation, and the world, duties that we do not grudgingly accept but rather seize gladly, firm in the knowledge that there is nothing so satisfying to the spirit, so defining of our character, than giving our all to a difficult task. "
Honestly, our new President has me concerned. Heck, just by nature of the fact that he is the top of the heap in the Democratic Party right now scares the heebie-jeebies out of me. But, I've already mentioned Ronald Reagan, and I know that he would tell me to give him the benefit of the doubt and give him a chance to prove himself. So I am doing just that.
I hope for my sake and sake of my beautiful Jess that Barack Obama is successful. I hope for the sake of my country that Barack Obama is the most successful President in history. I will pray that he makes wise decisions and that he leads the country in the direction that we need to go. Will I pray that President Obama fails? I will hope and pray that any big government, leftist-socialistic policies and anything that flies in the face of what I believe will not pass. But, since his success, or lack thereof, will ultimately trickle down and affect me, I hope and pray that he succeeds in leading this great country to do the right thing. Pray that he and his administration fail?? Good grief I can't think of anything worse to pray for!
President Bush did things that I liked, and he did things that I didn't like. But, love him or hate him, his time has come to a close, and, as Americans, we look forward to a new leader. I'm excited for the future of the country. I look forward to a different style of leadership and new charisma that can sweep from one coast to the other.
I have to mention Reagan again. Like him or not, and I know plenty of people that think he was the devil himself, I think his greatest accomplishment was that he convinced the American people to believe in themselves. He managed to bring the country together to believe that we were still the greatest nation in the world. I read a quote from Denzel Washington yesterday regarding our new President. And I hope that President Obama can live up to what he said. Denzel Washington said, "As Mr Obama has said, it's not about him. It's about us. It's about what we can do collectively."
And that's what scares me. I've talked to several at work that have been saying that "Obama is going to do this for me" or "Obama is going to make sure that this happens for me." That is total crap! I hope President Obama is able to change these minds so that they realize that it's not about him. It's about what we can do.
My hope for our new President boils down to this. I hope that he is able to convince people not to look to him or the government. I hope he is able to get people out of the mentality of "what can Obama do for me" and into the mindset of "Obama was able to change things so that I could do this for myself." And that he always tries his dogged best to do the right thing.
I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. I'm hoping and praying that he is successful in leading this country in the way we need to go. I'm hoping he doesn't let me down.
Oh. And one other thing. Now that he's out of office, I really hope the Bush-haters finally shut up.
I had heard about these people, and, honestly, believed that they didn't exist. But I came across one yesterday. I came across this Christian man that firmly believed that, now that President Obama has been sworn in, it is his God-given duty to pray that the new Presidential administration fall completely on its behind in failure. He even quoted Scripture at me to try and show me that he was right. I was speechless. I had to get into his head.
Come to find out this guy had the right idea, but his approach and attitude about the whole thing was so far out in left field that I can't help but disagree with him. I had to say he was right. Yes, I want all the liberal ideas to fall flat. I want any grand ideas of making government bigger to die a miserable death. However, a new guy is at the helm, and, although I disagree with his ideologies I can in no way pray that he is anything but successful.
Parts of President Obama's speech yesterday sounded so Presidential. Here were my 3 fave lines from the speech - dare I say that all 3 lines I could envision my Presidential hero, Ronald Reagan, saying:
"Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake."
"We will not apologize for our way of life, nor will we waver in its defense, and for those who seek to advance their aims by inducing terror and slaughtering innocents, we say to you now that our spirit is stronger and cannot be broken; you cannot outlast us, and we will defeat you. "
"What is required of us now is a new era of responsibility — a recognition, on the part of every American, that we have duties to ourselves, our nation, and the world, duties that we do not grudgingly accept but rather seize gladly, firm in the knowledge that there is nothing so satisfying to the spirit, so defining of our character, than giving our all to a difficult task. "
Honestly, our new President has me concerned. Heck, just by nature of the fact that he is the top of the heap in the Democratic Party right now scares the heebie-jeebies out of me. But, I've already mentioned Ronald Reagan, and I know that he would tell me to give him the benefit of the doubt and give him a chance to prove himself. So I am doing just that.
I hope for my sake and sake of my beautiful Jess that Barack Obama is successful. I hope for the sake of my country that Barack Obama is the most successful President in history. I will pray that he makes wise decisions and that he leads the country in the direction that we need to go. Will I pray that President Obama fails? I will hope and pray that any big government, leftist-socialistic policies and anything that flies in the face of what I believe will not pass. But, since his success, or lack thereof, will ultimately trickle down and affect me, I hope and pray that he succeeds in leading this great country to do the right thing. Pray that he and his administration fail?? Good grief I can't think of anything worse to pray for!
President Bush did things that I liked, and he did things that I didn't like. But, love him or hate him, his time has come to a close, and, as Americans, we look forward to a new leader. I'm excited for the future of the country. I look forward to a different style of leadership and new charisma that can sweep from one coast to the other.
I have to mention Reagan again. Like him or not, and I know plenty of people that think he was the devil himself, I think his greatest accomplishment was that he convinced the American people to believe in themselves. He managed to bring the country together to believe that we were still the greatest nation in the world. I read a quote from Denzel Washington yesterday regarding our new President. And I hope that President Obama can live up to what he said. Denzel Washington said, "As Mr Obama has said, it's not about him. It's about us. It's about what we can do collectively."
And that's what scares me. I've talked to several at work that have been saying that "Obama is going to do this for me" or "Obama is going to make sure that this happens for me." That is total crap! I hope President Obama is able to change these minds so that they realize that it's not about him. It's about what we can do.
My hope for our new President boils down to this. I hope that he is able to convince people not to look to him or the government. I hope he is able to get people out of the mentality of "what can Obama do for me" and into the mindset of "Obama was able to change things so that I could do this for myself." And that he always tries his dogged best to do the right thing.
I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. I'm hoping and praying that he is successful in leading this country in the way we need to go. I'm hoping he doesn't let me down.
Oh. And one other thing. Now that he's out of office, I really hope the Bush-haters finally shut up.
Comments:
Post a Comment